Share of Facebook users aware of Facebook privacy tools

In my write-up titled Facebook and privacy: my observation, I said that by making some user data public by default(which a user has to take some steps to make private); the social network is increasing its chances to get its hands on the valuable data (which it can use to earn money) of those users (who make for a bearshare chunk) who either are not technically knowledgeable or are unaware of the default settings.

Now, responding to grilling queries of experts at the D8 Conference outside of Los Angeles, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, has provided me the numbers, that I kept vague in my Facebook article.

So from Zuckerberg own admission, users who are aware of the default settings, account for more than half of the Facebook userbase. In Zuckeberg's words, people still have control over their Facebook information, and more than half of the userbase has changed privacy settings at one point, demonstrating that most users understand the privacy tools.

So "not bearshare" but "less than half facebook users" either are not technically knowledgeable or are unaware of the default settings. --------

No comments